Friday, July 27, 2018

Worst Edition

The fine folks over at Nerdarchy have posted a video today titled Is There Really a Worst Edition  which got me to thinking. What would I consider the worst edition of the game that started it all?  Well, I prefer to dwell upon the positive, so I would probably ask that question in terms of what is the best edition, and I think that obviously depends on the individuals playing the game. What do they like, want, expect, enjoy about their game? I suppose some may prefer one edition as referee and yet another as player. Finding enough like-minded players to make a table can also be a factor in which edition one plays (ours is largely a social hobby). Finally I think the best edition is the one you have the most fun with. So maybe that should be the question? "What edition delivers the most fun for you?"
Anyone who has read this blog knows I prefer the Original Game, the three LBBs that came in a White Box. I love the freedom and inspiration to create which exists in this edition and is really unequaled in any subsequent official edition or OSR reimagining. The fact that the original White Box game seems incomplete in places and its language can be interpreted in many ways is a big part of the appeal. I admit, I like the opportunity to make things up, both coming up with rules to try while pondering the game and improvising while at the table. As referee that is part of my fun.
As a player I prefer to be surprised by the referee, entertained is probably a better word for experiencing what each referee does with the White Box at their table. There is no rules lawyering in White Box. You learn the game by playing. The rules are what the referee says they are. I believe my interest in collecting and reading OSR games is also driven by the enjoyment I get from learning how someone else thinks the game could/should be played. There seems to be no limit to the variety of ideas people can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment