Thursday, July 26, 2018

Echoes of the Old Ones

Dark City Games
The newest title from my favorite producer of solitaire adventures is Echoes of the Old Ones and I am greatly amused by this title. Dark City Games, the publisher of Echoes and many other fine adventures, all of which are suitable for solitaire or group play, has kept the spirit of Metagaming's MicroQuest genre of tabletop roleplaying alive since 2005 and as such represents some of the earliest Old School publishing efforts. Like all of the Dark City Games adventures, Echoes is a complete game (with downloaded rules) including map and counters. It can be played using Dark City Games free rules, Legacy of the Ancient Worlds, or TFT or even GURPS.
I know this comes as a surprise to anyone reading this blog (not), but I am a devoted fan of old school adventure gaming! There are so many of the old game systems which I find still interesting and worthy of play that I can hardly find time to reread them, let alone play them all. Add to this enormous collection all the fascinating takes on the old school rule systems which the creative minds in the OSR have published and my stack of beloved "old" games is taller than I am.
I heard earlier this week that Steve Jackson Games is running a Kickstarter for reprinting Melee and Wizard - the original The Fantasy Trip products designed by Steve Jackson which he authored while working for MetaGaming- so I am super excited about that.  The Kickstarter runs until August 24, 2018 and has already hit several of its stretch goals. And yes, that's the same TFT that can be used to play Echoes of the Old Ones...Old Ones...Old...Ones.
Well, you get the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment