Monday, April 15, 2024

An End to the In-Print TTRPG

The Future is not certain, but...
One of my favorite tabletop role-playing game systems is GURPS - the Generic Universal Role-Playing System written by Steve Jackson and published by Steve Jackson Games. It was first released as a boxed set including cardboard stand-up "heroes", a tactical display map, game charts, character sheets and two soft-cover rulebooks providing me with everything needed to play (there may have been dice too, but I don't honestly recall this). The boxed first edition GURPS is a nice product that I still cherish as part of my collection. 
The game has received enormous support from Steve Jackson Games across several decades and is in its 4th edition with numerous physical and digital supplements available. The GURPS 4th edition Basic Set comprises two attractive hard-cover volumes subtitled Characters and Campaigns. 
Until recently, I could purchase them from the Steve Jackson Games online Warehouse 23 store as full-color books or as digital files. Since the beginning of the year, the color hardback physical copies have been labeled "Sold Out". The books are available as digital downloads and as print-on-demand black and white books either in hard-cover or soft-cover. The current options are nice enough and offer affordable ways to acquire the desired game materials, but I wonder what this change in print situation may portend for the future of our hobby?
Some years ago Steve Jackson Games started offering print-on-demand of their older edition GURPS material (which is a large catalog), some of this is through a popular online corporation that you can easily find for yourself (visit Steve Jackson Games and you will have no trouble) so I won't "advertise" the online market here by name. 
In the time that they have been available, I have ordered and received several volumes in this print-on-demand format thus rounding out my collection of older GURPS supplements (which still contains gaps since Steve Jackson Games publishes so much). I have no quibbles with the format or the quality of the print-on-demand products. I find the print-on-demand books are perfectly serviceable and the fact that this process enables us as the consumer a wider choice of what's available is definitely an advantage. Demand will always drive supply in a market economy. 
I enjoy reading on a tablet, but I like to have a physical book in my hands as well. It is not unlikely that I will have both if it's something I value and enjoy. Options and choice are generally a good thing as I see it. As things change as they constantly do, some changes seem to offer more and some changes seem to result in less. Not everyone sees a change from the same viewpoint (of course). I do wonder what print-on-demand spells for the future of brick & mortar game stores?
Steve Jackson Games is an innovator and not a small player in the tabletop game world. Is the switch to print-on-demand a temporary solution to an availability challenge in a changing logistical scenario or does it mark a transition in the way we will consume virtually all printed media going forward? My crystal ball isn't clear on this matter. If Steve Jackson is at the forefront of a new trend, it will not be the first time.



No comments:

Post a Comment