Friday, June 18, 2021

Your Middle-earth Will Vary

...and that is okay!
Yesterday I posted a somewhat satirical comment on the non-relationship between J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth and the World's First Published Role-Playing Game. Today I will explain how I use my D&D to play a version of Middle-earth as seen through my eyes. 
Middle-earth, or Arda, is the name Professor Tolkien gives to the setting for The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, and other unfinished tales and histories completed by his heirs. The good professor left us so much material (some of it conflicting) about his fantasy creation that a student of his work may become quite knowledgeable about the fictional history, geography and inhabitants of Middle-earth. So much is written about Middle-earth that a body of generally accepted canon now exists. Other fictional worlds may approach this volume of documentation, but few equal it. The fact that so much is known about Middle-earth makes it particularly appealing as a topic for study, discussion and gaming. It can also present a daunting challenge for anyone attempting to interpret or add to the subject either through gaming or in cinema, illustration or music.
All phenomena is seen through a combination of the time and place, and our own prior experience. Personally, I enjoy taking a few liberties with fictional "facts" (smile!) and riffing off the published material to create something slightly different and hopefully surprising and entertaining for others. "Literary license" is a term often applied to writers of historical fiction when they invent details and put words into the mouths of characters drawn from history. Anyone who makes use of Aragorn or Gandalf as a non-player character in a role-playing situation is doing the same in my opinion.
What is Radagast doing during the events depicted in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? Where are the "Blue Wizards"? Are the fictional novels written by J.R.R. Tolkien written from the point of view of a couple of humble hobbits and subject to their "limited perspective" or are they "holy scripture" not to be tampered with? I suppose each of us will answer that question according to our own counsel.
Players taking a seat at my table frequently find much of the setting familiar because it reminds them of the now quite well known Middle-earth of Professor Tolkien. They will also find a few changes and surprises because I use a setting that is both borrowed and original. Almost every fantasy role-playing game I have ever refereed has been influenced by my understanding of Middle-earth. Halflings are hobbits in my mind. Dwarves are very much like those featured in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Dragons are Smaug with a name change. 
I also change things. Either through ignorance or a preference for my own ideas, I will freely alter various aspects of "canon" during play resulting in my players frequently remarking that they are surprised by something. Part of my enjoyment in our hobby is from using my own ideas. I have found that my little changes are easier for my players if they have been told the game's setting is called "the middle realm" or "Dreadmor", or anything else. Most of the time I have not called the setting "Tolkien's Middle-earth", even if in my mind that is what it is. Freedom from canon is refreshing and by not using the familiar names I usually avoid conflicts.
To borrow a phrase attributed to the late Greg Stafford, founder of the Chaosium publishing company, and creator of many notable games including White Bear and Red Moon, King Arthur Pendragon and RuneQuest, "Your Glorantha will vary." Obviously my Middle-earth varies as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment