Thursday, October 1, 2020

Finding My Path to Fun

Pathfinder Second Edition
I enjoy this hobby immensely. I have for 40+ years and counting. I still enjoy the first role-playing game I acquired back in 1977 - I also enjoy a lot of other RPGs that have come along since then.
Of the modern game systems, I am most comfortable with Pathfinder 2e (Pf 2e). There are a number of factors that contribute to this. The default setting, Golarion, contains fantasy elements that I can relate to without being overly generic and too vanilla. The classes and ancestries in the core rules are traditional and therefore "comfortable" - as is the game's use of Alignment. But it is the mechanics of play that really recommends Pf 2e and forms the basis for it being my preference to run and play. In the past year I have ran more sessions of Pf 2e than I have of all other systems combined - largely due to its wonderful mechanics!
Action economy - I cannot converse about Pf 2e without praising the game's 3 action point combat mechanic and sequence. Creatures in Pf 2e get 3 actions each combat round - an attack or "strike" in game terminology can use-up one action , movement can be one action, a visual search can cost one action, spell casting is often two actions, and raising a shield in preparation for a defensive reaction is one action. Actions can be repeated, though striking a second time during a round incurs a penalty - usually -5 to hit, while a third strike is at -10. Magic spells are often variable in effect depending upon how many actions are used in the casting. 
While the combat action economy is the feature of Pf 2e I usually launch right into when describing what I like most about this system, there are a number of other mechanical aspects of the core rules which I find appealing. 
The game master is in charge of the story and the world - Pf 2e clearly states this at the top of page 8 of the Core Rules. While this may seem insignificant to some readers, as an old hand at this hobby who prefers that the game I run resembles something I enjoy, I appreciate the statement which ultimately also reflects the game's philosophy as is evident throughout the text.
Having said that, I think the game is ahead of the curve with respect to sensitivity for inclusion and commitment to universal enjoyment of the fun factor. In other words, I think Pf 2e nicely covers all the bases!
Character generation is a tedious exercise in many modern systems (and not a few older ones). Although it consumes a bit of time, I find creating a character in Pf 2e is both fun and engaging. The Pathfinder franchise is somewhat noted for offering players many opportunities to customize characters and 2e Core continues along that path. In 2e one assembles a PC through a process of making meaningful choices that each add potential for role-play as well as roll-play. (Yes, the mechanical build compliments the role-playing!) The choices one makes choosing your character's ancestry (which replaces "race"), background, and of course class all influence their vital statistics and skill proficiencies while allowing each character to be customized making one human fighter different from the next. The entire chargen process feels like a mini-game (rather than a chore).
Pathfinder 2e revolutionizes role-playing mechanics in many ways. Skill tests and combat rolls are made with critical success and failure defined as a result ten over or ten under the target number. Creatures with higher skill bonus will "crit" more often and fumble less than those creatures with more modest skills.
Pathfinder 2e can feel like a supers game when your bonus overpowers the difficulty of making a target number, but the system retains its ability to also feel "deadly". It does this by subjecting characters to multiple attacks each turn, and a more traditional approach to death and dying and healing. Often an area of house-ruling as preferences for lethality and healing rate varies considerably, I am happy with Pathfinder 2e as written. The Core Rules strikes a balance of sorts and in doing so I find it gives me the kind of game I seek.
Damage in Pf 2e lowers a character's Hit Points and when the character reaches 0 HP they become unconscious and acquire the "dying" condition (which like many conditions in Pf 2e is followed by a number such as Dying 1, Dying 2, etc.). Each turn during which the PC has the dying condition, a d20 is rolled and the condition may improve or deteriorate. Death may be the result, or the PC may recover from "dying" and advance to "wounded" - a condition which stays with the character until fully healed and that will compound with any future dying condition making subsequent recovery less likely. 
A night spent resting will restore a modest number of lost Hit Points, thus maintaining a sense of verisimilitude. 
With the number of good FRP games available today why do I choose Pathfinder 2e? I have touched on a few of the reasons in this post and will continue to discuss my thoughts in my next post. Until then stay safe and happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment