Thursday, June 4, 2020

My Second Love

RuneQuest 2nd Edition
I have mentioned in at least one previous post that RuneQuest is my "second love" among role-playing games. I started our hobby with the original version of the world's most famous role-playing game, which I fondly refer to as White Box, because my 5th printing came in a white box! A few years later I was in search of more detailed, and therefore presumably "realistic", combat mechanics and started playing RuneQuest. The group I mainly gamed with at the time took readily to RuneQuest and for a number of years, RuneQuest was our principle RPG system.
My first RuneQuest was the second edition of the game designed by Steve Perrin and Friends and published by Chaosium. Our devotion to RuneQuest continued into the Avalon Hill third edition years, but at some point life changes and physical distance made getting together for a RuneQuest session less frequent and eventually we stopped playing RuneQuest altogether. After a number of years away from the game, it has re-entered my consciousness complete with all the enthusiasm I had for it years ago.
RuneQuest is not the first game I played with an inherent setting (RuneQuest is set in the world of Glorantha), but the setting is definitely intertwined throughout the RuneQuest rules. In the 1980s when I was playing a lot of RQ, I may not have noticed this. Re-reading the 2e edition now, I can see Glorantha on almost every page. It is a system designed specifically for its setting and as such carries just the right tone and flavor.
Another aspect of RuneQuest strikes me as remarkable today. The stated goal of RuneQuest play is to acquire one or more magic Runes - hence the name. RuneQuest is a d100 roll under skill based system. The "Rune Lord" status is achieved through mastery of skills. "Rune Priest" is achieved through mastery of magic. Both require membership in a society connected to one of the Gloranthan deities or secret organizations. Acquisition of either the "mastery" rune or the "magic" rune accompanies the title and other runes inevitably follow.
Adventuring in RuneQuest gives treasure and "experience checks" to skills which are successfully used by the character. Both may be used to increase the character's competency in their skills. Improving skills and abilities will eventually qualify one to take the "exam" to become a Rune Lord or Rune Priest and thus be marked as a "hero". It is an obvious progression toward hero status from humble beginnings. I recall that reaching "Rune" status under the classic RuneQuest system rules is an accomplishment of note and one to take some pride in achieving.
RuneQuest as a system has continued to evolve in the years since 2nd edition was published. Today, Chaosium supports the RuneQuest player through two published versions of the system - the classic 2nd edition is back in print and available concurrently with the new RuneQuest: Roleplaying in  Glorantha edition, which was released a couple years ago. Comparing beginning characters between the two systems, I see that in RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha starting characters are considerably more competent with higher skill percentages and already possess "Rune" relationships. This is reflective of the general trend in modern role-playing games toward more competent starting characters. I must wonder if the resulting journey to "hero" means as much?

No comments:

Post a Comment