Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Gencon 2019

Gencon Rewards
One week ago I was preparing for Gencon with much anticipation. There are games to be played and products to see in abundance. Old friends and new friends to share gaming experiences with. This week I am reflecting on Gencon and have decided the best part about Gencon are the people.
I had a most satisfying four days of gaming and socializing at Gencon this year and most of that I attribute to the many fine gamers and vendors who attend Gencon. I got to play in several games with good friends and new acquaintances. I even ran a session of Call of Cthulhu for my friends. I also had many impromptu conversations while sharing a dining table, or sitting next to someone on the exhibit hall floor, or at various booths. Everyone I met was positive, friendly and interesting. Those interactions made my Gencon experience one to remember.
I also did a bit of shopping and picked up Mothership and the newly released Pathfinder 2e books as planned. The Iron Crown Enterprises booth was also at the top of my list and I visited them a couple times while picking up printed copies of the Rolemaster Classic volumes and the Shadow World setting books, Eidolon and Emer Atlas III.
One of the highlights during each Gencon is the awarding of the ENnies. The ENnies awards recognize some of the best creative talent in our hobby and among this year's winners are several nominees which greatly appeal to me. At the top of the list is Mothership which won the gold for Best Game. It's the game I voted for and obviously I think Mothership deserves the title best game of 2019! Other gold winners I would like to mention are Seth Skorkowski for best online content (check out his YouTube channel here). Chaosium Inc. won awards for a number of their excellent products and the gold for Fan's Favorite/ Best Publisher is a well deserved honor.
My personal award for "best experience at Gencon 2019" has to go to Jim Felli of Devious Weasel Games. Jim is the designer of Shadows of Malice, my favorite fantasy boardgame, which has just been reprinted by Devious Weasel. For about three years running I have pestered Mr. Felli about Shadows of Malice asking when it would be re-released. Shadows is an excellent substitute for a fantasy role-play session in the form of a boardgame with near infinite replayability and it needs no GM. Mr. Felli seemed genuinely happy to have what I wanted this year and was kind enough to sign my copy of Shadows of Malice and set me up with everything he had for the game. This is a game I was introduced to some years ago, but until now have not been able to acquire my own copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment