Friday, March 10, 2017

DragonQuest by SPI

On My To-Play List
I recently picked up this second hand DragonQuest 2nd Edition hardcover. It is in good shape with no interior markings, no musty smell, tight binding. It's really pretty nice and cost me less than it would have new. I really enjoy the fact that second hand hobby product has never been easier to get. The internet has made virtually all things out-of-print available once again, either through print-on-demand, digital format or via the second hand dealers. Used bins in the local stores are somewhat less common and gone are the days of $0.25 game product at the local used book store. That was always hit-or-miss finding anything of interest, but the search was enjoyable.
DragonQuest is one of those older games (1st ed. 1980) that continues to draw me in. I usually pick up an inexpensive copy when I find one, either as a keeper against the day I may find a group and play the system or as a give-a-way to a friend who shares my interest. I have only played DragonQuest maybe once or twice back around the time it was published and those memories are fuzzy, of course. I frequently read through the game rules, however, as the mechanics speak to me in a way that makes me think the game would be fun to play if I ever find the right group. I know the internet is also a wonderful way to play those hard-to-find-players-for games, but I so much prefer the face-to-face gaming experience.
"What is it about DragonQuest that I like so much?" I ask myself in hope that if I can answer this question, maybe I can convince some of my friends they should give it a try. A common sense approach, one which generally agrees with me, is the basis for the overall game philosophy. DragonQuest is old school in that the designers expect some do-it-yourself from the referee. DragonQuest is a non-class character system, but there are many of those these days, so that isn't really a selling point. DragonQuest does have a slight twist on the class-less theme in the way the game handles skills.  Skills in most skill-based systems are things like perception (which like strength and agility is a basic PC characteristic in DragonQuest) and stealth. In DragonQuest skills are Ranger and Thief, each include a number of abilities associated with the skilled Ranger, Thief, etc. One tests these abilities by rolling against a characteristic, such as agility, modified by rank and skill (if applicable).
Combat is conducted on a tactical display, or hex-map, using miniatures or counters.  Facing, terrain and tactics play a significant part in gaining advantages in combat and can often allow smart, but weaker opponents to best foes that out-rank them. In this way, DragonQuest rewards smart combat play over luck. Damage comes in the form of fatigue and endurance loss. Fatigue is easily recovered, whereas endurance loss can result in serious injury or death. In this way the damage system seems a bit more logical than "hit points". The folks who designed DragonQuest were experienced wargame designers and even though the second edition removes some of the tactical elements of the combat system in an attempt to simplify it, the mechanics still reward thoughtful play.
The Magic system is one of the selling points for DragonQuest. Based on magic traditions from myth and literature, it is easy to see from where several of the "schools" or "colleges" of DragonQuest magic are likely to have been influenced. DragonQuest details 15 colleges of magic, including talents and general knowledge spells that can be learned by anyone with the aptitude for magic, special knowledge spells only available to devotees of the specific college, and college rituals of general knowledge and special knowledge. The colleges and rituals give DragonQuest magic a lot of flavor and make it much more appealing than most magic point systems. Magic is supplemented by skilled healers and herbal lore. An extensive listing of herbs and their "powers" again adds an extra dimension to the variety of "magical" effects available in DragonQuest.
A game system influences player behavior through "experience" awards. DragonQuest awards experience for efficiency in accomplishing a goal or mission and for good role-playing. The rules suggest experience be awarded every so many hours of play, so playing the game gets one experience. Quality play increases one's experience award. Experience is used to increase character attributes, skill, spell and weapon ranks. Acquiring training costs money and training is also necessary for advancement.
Throughout the system, DragonQuest seems mindful of verisimilitude, how to make the game seem more believable or "real" to the players. Believable, logical, immersive, these qualities do appeal to me. I am also a fan of old school, do-it-yourself approaches to design and appreciate that element of DragonQuest. Add a tactical combat mechanic that rewards giving some thought to combat, an engaging and interesting magic system and I believe I know what attracts me to DragonQuest.

No comments:

Post a Comment