Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Pacing

Keep the Action Moving
Over the decades, I have played many rule systems. Some are way more detailed than others. Depending on my mood and the desires of fellow gamers at the table, a more detailed "crunchy" system can provide a lot of entertainment. The more detailed rules I often find more interesting to read because they are generally full of sub-systems and novel ideas I may want to borrow for my rules-lite game. Such borrowed complexity usually only lasts for a game session or two and then I drop it in favor of "less is more". One of the reasons I like rules-lite systems and especially the White Box is the game's pacing. Things move along quickly. Combat is quick, spell casting is quick, rolling up a new PC is quick. Nothing breaks up the mood of an exciting game like pausing to hunt down an effects table or look up a rule in the book.
I really enjoy playing a system that fades into the background. Rules that are so well known by the group that not only is there no question how they work, but they seldom even give pause for reflection. The game is just played, quickly and with little thought given to mechanics. A table can do a lot of adventuring when little time is spent figuring out how to do things. Rules-lite systems often require the referee to adjudicate on-the-fly, to improvise rules for determining if the PCs succeed at a proposed action. If this is done quickly and smoothly, the action can proceed, but a lengthy discussion, which is sometimes necessary, can effectively pause play just like looking in the book for a forgotten rule mechanic. As a group plays together over time they may come to a point where most of the things not covered have been hashed out and an accepted method for handling them established thereby minimizing the need for the referee to intervene.
I have little doubt that familiarity and memorization plays a significant part in my preference for White Box over all other systems. White Box supports a style of play that influences how I approach other even dissimilar games and I rather think I bring a little White Box philosophy to every game system I play. A desire for quick combat and rapid pacing is evidence. I also like to tinker with rule systems and appreciate an opportunity to individualize the game with my own innovations and interpretations. White Box seems to encourage all these aspects and is therefore a good fit for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment