Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Introduction



Being the observations, recollections and occasional ramblings of a long-time tabletop gamer.

Around 1977/1978 I got my hands on the white box edition of the world’s first fantasy role-playing game, can I say “Dungeons & Dragons” (D&D) in a blog.  Inside those three little brown books lay the promise of gaming in a fantastic world such as I had read about in books.  I say promise because to me those books were something of a puzzle at first. The secret of how to play D&D was difficult to unravel and it took some time before my friends and I were able to make a reasonable stab at playing the game in a manner that seemed to make sense.  It might have helped had we had a copy of “Chainmail” which the little brown books referred to.  Eventually we worked it out and a lifelong hobby obsession was kindled within me. Supplements followed the white box and then other editions and other role-playing systems as my collection grew, all the while feeding my imagination like nothing before or since.
Future posts will detail my thoughts about the hobby, it's history and future, various products, old and new and anything else that seems worthwhile to discuss on the matter of tabletop fantasy role-playing. This is my first attempt at a blog, so it's a learning experience for me, so I expect to stumble along...at least at first. So prepare for some laughs along with a lot of my opinions about the White Box and Beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment