Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Story of Vincent

...and the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity
By today's standards, one could easily view the Original Game materials as sexist and possibly insensitive. They were written in 1974/'75, which for you folks who don't recall those days, let me say that it was a very different world in many ways. The fantasy tropes and art of the LBBs draws heavily from its swords & sorcery sources, many dating back to the 1920s, '30s and '40s pulp magazines which have sometimes been described as sexist, racist...etc.
I try to maintain a very positive tone on this blog, mostly because I really love this hobby and the fun it provides many, many people. In that spirit, I want to share the story of Vincent the paladin who has brought a lot of fun and laughter to many a table (and apologize in advance if this seems insensitive or offends anyone). Vincent is a character I have played again and again over the years (having re-created the PC in many editions and systems) and Vincent is one of my favorite PCs to role-play.
Introduction: Standing before you is a leggy female human in shiny plate armor. She has long blonde hair, fashionably pulled back from a fair-skinned face of classical beauty. Turning to you, she sets her mug of ale down, belches, smiles and wipes her mouth on her sleeve. Extending her other hand, in a clearly masculine voice she barks, "Hullo, my name's Vincent - will you join us for a drink?"
I role-play Vincent as the most stereotype, working class, tough-guy I can manage, using my lowest pitched voice. Vincent started "life" as a male paladin character many decades ago and thanks to the magic of a Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity (the description for this item can be found in Supplement I Greyhawk) is physically transformed into a woman. The Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity presents as a Girdle of Giant Strength, thereby fooling the player/PC into wanting to wear it. The item then changes the sex (gender) of the character and can only be removed by use of a wish. So it is a "cursed" item. Or is it?
I don't recall my initial reaction to the first "Vincent" (if that was even his name) becoming female as a result of donning the magic Girdle (wide belt), but over the decades I have had great fun playing the character. The reactions of others at the table is often hilarious as they go along with the shared fiction of this character whose appearance is at odds with her/his behavior. The character concept totally depends on gender stereotypes and could potentially be offensive to some, although I have not run across that reaction at the game table to date.
So is the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity a cursed magic item or not? I have little doubt that it was seen that way by many, including folks who worked at TSR back in the day, but taking the concept and running with it, I think it has been rather fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment